Raised to date:



Since the excitement of Christmas day things have continued to improve. Yet another incident with the auto-helm had took the jam out of our Christmas doughnut, but other than that we have much to be thankful for. Don’t get me wrong, having to row in a circle in a rolling sea in order to recalibrate our auto-helm was not much fun - but now that the new gear in in place we have seen a marked improvement in our course and efficiency. The good news is not only that the new system is working, I think we have learned a lot about the equipment and made ourselves a better crew as a result.

Scotty and I prepare dinner

Since the weather has picked up, life on the oars has improved accordingly. It’s not perfect rowing and we have not had the strong following conditions of the last few weeks but we are doing our best to try and keep a steady pace above 3 knots. We are still keeping up a good 60 miles a day. Just as importantly we are keeping up the maintenance of our health and bodies. We are having more hot food at night, coffee every day and quite often squeezing in an Irish coffee too. On shift, our daytime rowing routine is now shorts and t-shirt. Nights are getting darker than ever and we had no moonlight until 3.30 am last night. But with all these small luxuries don’t let our Saga holiday deceive you. Rowing is getting boring. Night shifts are like sitting on a rowing machine in the dark, with someone throwing cold water at you and with trying to push you out of your seat. Dawn shift, 6 – 8am is the pinnacle of the day, a real highlight to watch the sun come up. There is still lots of time to reflect and my thoughts have often gone back to my aunt who passed away just before the row. You are reminded so much of how important your family are.

Today was my first row in the new spring/ summer collection - Army speedo’s, a pair of gloves, and that’s it. Scott took the piss out of me and refused to wear to his trunks so I told him he was being ungrateful and gave him a hard time. Having successfully made him feel bad, he has now agreed to wear them on the next sunshine shift. We are all still looking a bit pale - these last 2 or 3 days are the only real sunshine so far but we can finally believe the stories that we heard about the nice weather, something we hadn’t seen up until this point. It’s great to be out of survival mode at last. The misery of the first 3 weeks has really helped us to appreciate our current situation!

Latest Blog Posts


After a frustrating last 24 hours or so we began today with slow conditions and not much visibility. It was quite squally, with little rain showers coming and going, but things cleared quite abruptly around 8am and suddenly we could see land. After being hidden in the mist it appeared out of nowhere and it seemed really close! This last stretch was totally different to the first half of the race. For so much of this crossing the weather has been horrific, I have never experienced anything like this. Yesterday morning at 8 am marked the first time in the entire race that we had a full 24 hours out of full foul weather gear and today is also the first day that an equipment failure would not be a cause for emotional devastation. I always thought that we would make it, but equipment failures could have slowed us down a lot. The thought of breakages always kept us on edge. But now we can finally enjoy the realisation that WE HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!

Read More | posted on Jan 21, 2014


It feels great to count down the hours and the miles. It is a big morale boost to know that we are almost there. For most of the crossing I had felt confident that we would make it but we did have a few scares. When the auto-helm broke I did worry that we would be down to one rower for the whole crossing. One rowing and one hand-steering would have been a horrible routine. Luckily we managed to fix it. But the most important bit of equipment is my leg - it has never let me down.

Read More | posted on Jan 20, 2014


Hard as it is to believe, this is my final blog! It has been a moment to reflect on an extraordinary 7 weeks at sea and an even more extraordinary group of people. By that I mean not just the guys in the boat, but the many wounded persons that they represent. I have been thinking a lot about what this team has achieved and what we hope others can achieve. This project has been about setting a huge challenge, committing wholeheartedly to it and then facing every challenge head on in pursuit of our goal. There have been no excuses only a choice to live this experience to its fullest and to take a positive attitude to all things. I hope that we have demonstrated that it is not what people see in you but what you go on to do that counts. I want to thank to all those who have personally supported me – you know who you are. There were a few people who said it could not be done. Oh dear… you will have to kiss my nappy-rash!

Read More | posted on Jan 19, 2014