Raised to date:



After the adventures of two nights ago we finally had a quiet night last night. Mark and James have been back on the manual steering at night - the auto-helm is still a bit dodgy. We have been a bit slower since we capsized. It’s not because we have lost the will to fight, it’s just that the wind and waves are a bit tamer so we aren't getting the same push forward on the surf. The problem with the auto-helm is frustrating but we are getting used to solving problems and getting on with it.


It could only happen to me but when we were hit I was in the cabin cleaning my backside. I had just shut the door and then I heard the wave crash.  I heard the noise then I hit my head on the door handle. Luckily where there was no lasting damage - where there is no sense there’s no feeling! Once I had got myself sorted I got out onto deck and went to help Cayle back on deck. By the time I got out he was already half way over the side, he was climbing in through the gap between the deck and the oars. He looked pretty calm but it must have been scary. After a quick head check we did a quick sweep of the deck. I got back in and cleaned the cabin and James and Cayle just started rowing again. I called my fiancé Amy  the next day and I was pleased to hear that she sounded ok. Dad just said get on with it – he would say that wouldn’t he!

Overall things are going alright, the weather is improving and the waves getting smaller. I think the sun is coming too. But the test is still a big one and I have been feeling a bit down. I think some of the other guys must be feeling it too. We can handle all of this crossing, but the weather has just been rubbish. We are constantly soaking wet. It’s miserable and cold.

All I want a nice dry sunny day. 

Latest Blog Posts


After a frustrating last 24 hours or so we began today with slow conditions and not much visibility. It was quite squally, with little rain showers coming and going, but things cleared quite abruptly around 8am and suddenly we could see land. After being hidden in the mist it appeared out of nowhere and it seemed really close! This last stretch was totally different to the first half of the race. For so much of this crossing the weather has been horrific, I have never experienced anything like this. Yesterday morning at 8 am marked the first time in the entire race that we had a full 24 hours out of full foul weather gear and today is also the first day that an equipment failure would not be a cause for emotional devastation. I always thought that we would make it, but equipment failures could have slowed us down a lot. The thought of breakages always kept us on edge. But now we can finally enjoy the realisation that WE HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!

Read More | posted on Jan 21, 2014


It feels great to count down the hours and the miles. It is a big morale boost to know that we are almost there. For most of the crossing I had felt confident that we would make it but we did have a few scares. When the auto-helm broke I did worry that we would be down to one rower for the whole crossing. One rowing and one hand-steering would have been a horrible routine. Luckily we managed to fix it. But the most important bit of equipment is my leg - it has never let me down.

Read More | posted on Jan 20, 2014


Hard as it is to believe, this is my final blog! It has been a moment to reflect on an extraordinary 7 weeks at sea and an even more extraordinary group of people. By that I mean not just the guys in the boat, but the many wounded persons that they represent. I have been thinking a lot about what this team has achieved and what we hope others can achieve. This project has been about setting a huge challenge, committing wholeheartedly to it and then facing every challenge head on in pursuit of our goal. There have been no excuses only a choice to live this experience to its fullest and to take a positive attitude to all things. I hope that we have demonstrated that it is not what people see in you but what you go on to do that counts. I want to thank to all those who have personally supported me – you know who you are. There were a few people who said it could not be done. Oh dear… you will have to kiss my nappy-rash!

Read More | posted on Jan 19, 2014